Coypus (Nutria) can live up to six years in captivity, but individuals uncommonly live past three years old; according to one study, 80% of coypus die within the first year, and less than 15% of a wild population is over three years old. Male coypus reach sexual maturity as early as four months, and females as early as three months; however, both can have a prolonged adolescence, up to the age of 9 months. Once a female is pregnant, gestation lasts 130 days, and she may give birth to as few as one or as many as 13 offspring. Baby coypus are born fully furred and with open eyes; they can eat vegetation with their parents within hours of birth. A female coypu can become pregnant again the day after she gives birth to her young. If timed properly, a female can become pregnant three times within a year. Newborn coypus nurse for seven to eight weeks, after which they leave their mothers.
Besides breeding quickly, each coypu consumes large amounts of vegetation. An individual consumes about 25% of its body weight daily, and feeds year-round. Being one of the world’s larger extant rodents, a mature, healthy coypu averages 5.4 kg (12 lb) in weight, but they can reach as much as 10 kg (22 lb). They eat the base of the above-ground stems of plants, and often will dig through the organic soil for roots and rhizomes to eat. Their creation of “eat-outs”, areas where a majority of the above- and below-ground biomass has been removed, produces patches in the environment, which in turn disrupts the habitat for other animals and humans dependent on marshes.
Coypus are found most commonly in freshwater marshes, but also inhabit brackish marshes and rarely salt marshes.
Read more on Wikipedia – here.
SPEAK WITH A CONSULTANT FOR FREE
Our biggest customers, we humanely trap & remove raccoons, skunks, or anything else you might have. Wayfare Pest Solutions can also rid your yard of moles, gophers, & other tunneling pests. Animals are dealt with in accordance to County Fish & Wildlife regulations.
If you are living in Portland, Vancouver or any of the surrounding areas and have a nutria problem, give us a call toll free at 1 (844) WAYFARE or 1 (844) 929-3273 to schedule a free consultation. Or click the ‘book consultation online’ button below.
Wayfare Pest Solutions will take care of it for you without upsetting the balance of the ecosystem, posing a threat to your family, your pets, your neighbors pets, and other furry things that we like via our Full Contact IPA method . . . and get results. Don’t call us first. Call us LAST.
Call Us Toll Free at 1 (844) WAYFARE
OREGON SERVICE AREAS:
- Nutria Removal – Portland, OR
- Nutria Removal – Beaverton, OR
- Nutria Removal – Hillsboro, OR
- Nutria Removal – Cornelius, OR
- Nutria Removal – North Plains, OR
- Nutria Removal – Lake Oswego, OR
- Nutria Removal – Sherwood, OR
- Nutria Removal – Tigard, OR
- Nutria Removal – Forest Grove Communities, OR
- Nutria Removal – McMinnville, OR
- Nutria Removal – Gresham, OR
- Nutria Removal – Corbett, OR
- Nutria Removal – Hood River, OR
- Nutria Removal – Sandy, OR
- Nutria Removal – Canby, OR
- Nutria Removal – Rhododendron, OR
- Nutria Removal – Vernonia, OR
- Nutria Removal – Scapoose, OR
WASHINGTON SERVICE AREAS:
- Nutria Removal – Vancouver, WA
- Nutria Removal – Camas, WA
- Nutria Removal – Washougal, WA
- Nutria Removal – Ridgefield, WA
- Nutria Removal – LaCenter, WA
- Nutria Removal – Woodland, WA
- Nutria Removal – Longview, WA
- Nutria Removal – Yacolt, WA
- Nutria Removal – Amboy, WA
*** If you are experiencing a nutria issue and do not see your city listed here please give us a call toll free to see if it is possible to make a special trip to see you @ 1 (844) WAYFARE – (844) 929-3273. ***
Click the blue ‘View Coupon’ button to claim today’s offer. Please note that in an effort to be a positive influence in the community we offer multiple promotional discounts for Seniors, Students, Military, Veterans and their Family.