Starlings are small to medium-sized passerine birds in the family Sturnidae. The name “Sturnidae” comes from the Latin word for starling, sturnus. Many Asian species, particularly the larger ones, are called mynas, and many African species are known as glossy starlings because of their iridescent plumage. Starlings are native to the Old World, from Europe, Asia and Africa, to northern Australia and the islands of the tropical Pacific. Several European and Asian species have been introduced to these areas as well as North America, Hawaii and New Zealand, where they generally compete for habitat with native birds and are considered to be invasive species. The starling species familiar to most people in Europe and North America is the common starling, and throughout much of Asia and the Pacific the common myna is indeed common.
Starlings have strong feet, their flight is strong and direct, and they are very gregarious. Their preferred habitat is fairly open country, and they eat insects and fruit. Several species live around human habitation, and are effectively omnivores. Many species search for prey such as grubs by “open-bill probing”, that is, forcefully opening the bill after inserting it into a crevice, thus expanding the hole and exposing the prey; this behaviour is referred to by the German verb zirkeln (pronounced [ˈtsɪʁkəln]).
Plumage of many species is typically dark with a metallic sheen. Most species nest in holes, laying blue or white eggs.
Starlings have diverse and complex vocalizations, and have been known to embed sounds from their surroundings into their own calls, including car alarms and human speech patterns. The birds can recognize particular individuals by their calls, and are currently the subject of research into the evolution of human language.
Read more on Wikipedia – here.
SPEAK WITH A CONSULTANT FOR FREE
From starlings in the attic, swifts in the chimney, geese in the yard, or a woodpecker tearing your walls apart; we have bird removal solutions for all your bird problems. In addition, Wayfare Pest Solutions can also safely remove bats from your attic, & “bat-proof” your home to prevent future problems.
If you are living in Portland, Vancouver or any of the surrounding areas and have a Starling problem, give us a call toll free at 1 (844) WAYFARE or 1 (844) 929-3273 to schedule a free consultation. Or click the ‘book consultation online’ button below.
Wayfare Pest Solutions will take care of it for you without upsetting the balance of the ecosystem, posing a threat to your family, your pets, your neighbors pets, and other furry things that we like via our Full Contact IPA method . . . and get results. Don’t call us first. Call us LAST.
Call Us Toll Free at 1 (844) WAYFARE
OREGON SERVICE AREAS:
- Starling Removal – Portland, OR
- Starling Removal – Beaverton, OR
- Starling Removal – Hillsboro, OR
- Starling Removal – Cornelius, OR
- Starling Removal – North Plains, OR
- Starling Removal – Lake Oswego, OR
- Starling Removal – Sherwood, OR
- Starling Removal – Tigard, OR
- Starling Removal – Forest Grove Communities, OR
- Starling Removal – McMinnville, OR
- Starling Removal – Gresham, OR
- Starling Removal – Corbett, OR
- Starling Removal – Hood River, OR
- Starling Removal – Sandy, OR
- Starling Removal – Canby, OR
- Starling Removal – Rhododendron, OR
- Starling Removal – Vernonia, OR
- Starling Removal – Scapoose, OR
WASHINGTON SERVICE AREAS:
- Starling Removal – Vancouver, WA
- Starling Removal – Camas, WA
- Starling Removal – Washougal, WA
- Starling Removal – Ridgefield, WA
- Starling Removal – LaCenter, WA
- Starling Removal – Woodland, WA
- Starling Removal – Longview, WA
- Starling Removal – Yacolt, WA
- Starling Removal – Amboy, WA
*** If you are experiencing a Starling issue and do not see your city listed here please give us a call toll free to see if it is possible to make a special trip to see you @ 1 (844) WAYFARE – (844) 929-3273. ***
Click the blue ‘View Coupon’ button to claim today’s offer. Please note that in an effort to be a positive influence in the community we offer multiple promotional discounts for Seniors, Students, Military, Veterans and their Family.