Didelphimorphs are small to medium-sized marsupials, ranging in size from a large house cat to a small mouse. They tend to be semi-arboreal omnivores, although there are many exceptions. Most members of this taxon have long snouts, a narrow braincase, and a prominent sagittal crest. The dental formula is: 126.96.36.199.1.3.4. By mammalian standards, this is an unusually full jaw. The incisors are very small, the canines large, and the molars are tricuspid.
Didelphimorphs have a plantigrade stance (feet flat on the ground) and the hind feet have an opposable digit with no claw. Like some New World monkeys, opossums have prehensile tails. Like all marsupials, the fur consists of awn hair only, and the females have a pouch. The tail and parts of the feet bear scutes. The stomach is simple, with a small cecum. Notably, the male opossum has a forked penis bearing twin glandes.
Opossums have a remarkably robust immune system, and show partial or total immunity to the venom of rattlesnakes, cottonmouths, and other pit vipers. Opossums are about eight times less likely to carry rabies than wild dogs, and about one in eight hundred opossums is infected with this virus.
Although all living opossums are essentially opportunistic omnivores, different species vary in the amount of meat and vegetation they include in their diet. Members of the Caluromyinae are essentially frugivorous; whereas the lutrine opossum and Patagonian opossum primarily feed on other animals. The yapok (Chironectes minimus) is particularly unusual, as it is the only living semi-aquatic marsupial, using its webbed hindlimbs to dive in search of freshwater mollusks and crayfish. Most opossums are scansorial, well-adapted to life in the trees or on the ground, but members of the Caluromyinae and Glironiinae are primarily arboreal, whereas species of Metachirus, Monodelphis, and to a lesser degree Didelphis show adaptations for life on the ground.
Read more on Wikipedia – here.
SPEAK WITH A CONSULTANT FOR FREE
Our biggest customers, we humanely trap & remove raccoons, skunks, or anything else you might have. Wayfare Pest Solutions can also rid your yard of moles, gophers, & other tunneling pests. Animals are dealt with in accordance to County Fish & Wildlife regulations.
If you are living in Portland, Vancouver or any of the surrounding areas and have an opossum problem, give us a call toll free at 1 (844) WAYFARE or 1 (844) 929-3273 to schedule a free consultation. Or click the ‘book consultation online’ button below.
Wayfare Pest Solutions will take care of it for you without upsetting the balance of the ecosystem, posing a threat to your family, your pets, your neighbors pets, and other furry things that we like via our Full Contact IPA method . . . and get results. Don’t call us first. Call us LAST.
Call Us Toll Free at 1 (844) WAYFARE
OREGON SERVICE AREAS:
- Opossum Removal – Portland, OR
- Opossum Removal – Beaverton, OR
- Opossum Removal – Hillsboro, OR
- Opossum Removal – Cornelius, OR
- Opossum Removal – North Plains, OR
- Opossum Removal – Lake Oswego, OR
- Opossum Removal – Sherwood, OR
- Opossum Removal – Tigard, OR
- Opossum Removal – Forest Grove Communities, OR
- Opossum Removal – McMinnville, OR
- Opossum Removal – Gresham, OR
- Opossum Removal – Corbett, OR
- Opossum Removal – Hood River, OR
- Opossum Removal – Sandy, OR
- Opossum Removal – Canby, OR
- Opossum Removal – Rhododendron, OR
- Opossum Removal – Vernonia, OR
- Opossum Removal – Scapoose, OR
WASHINGTON SERVICE AREAS:
- Opossum Removal – Vancouver, WA
- Opossum Removal – Camas, WA
- Opossum Removal – Washougal, WA
- Opossum Removal – Ridgefield, WA
- Opossum Removal – LaCenter, WA
- Opossum Removal – Woodland, WA
- Opossum Removal – Longview, WA
- Opossum Removal – Yacolt, WA
- Opossum Removal – Amboy, WA
*** If you are experiencing a opossum issue and do not see your city listed here please give us a call toll free to see if it is possible to make a special trip to see you @ 1 (844) WAYFARE – (844) 929-3273. ***
Click the blue ‘View Coupon’ button to claim today’s offer. Please note that in an effort to be a positive influence in the community we offer multiple promotional discounts for Seniors, Students, Military, Veterans and their Family.