Hornets have stings used to kill prey and defend hives. Hornet stings are more painful to humans than typical wasp stings because hornet venom contains a large amount (pkp,5%) of acetylcholine. Individual hornets can sting multiple times; unlike honey bees, hornets and wasps do not die after stinging because their stingers are not barbed and are not pulled out of their bodies.
The toxicity of hornet stings varies according to hornet species; some deliver just a typical insect sting, while others are among the most venomous known insects. Single hornet stings are not in themselves fatal, except sometimes to allergic victims. Multiple stings by non-European hornets may be fatal because of highly toxic species-specific components of their venom.
The stings of the Asian giant hornet (Vespa mandarinia japonica) are the most venomous known, and are thought to cause 30-50 human deaths annually in Japan and 42 in China in July-September 2013 alone. Non-queens being 1.4-1.5 inches in length, the Asian giant hornet’s venom can cause allergic reactions and multiple organ failure leading to death, though dialysis can be used to remove the toxins from the bloodstream.
People who are allergic to wasp venom are also allergic to hornet stings. Allergic reactions are commonly treated with epinephrine (adrenaline) injection using a device such as an epinephrine autoinjector, with prompt follow-up treatment in a hospital. In severe cases, allergic individuals may go into anaphylactic shock and die unless treated promptly.
Read more on Wikipedia – here.
SPEAK WITH A CONSULTANT FOR FREE
Different techniques are required for hornets, flies, wasps, & bees. With the Wayfare Pest Solutions Flying Pest Service we identify your problem insect first then devise a strategy. Honey Bees, Mason Bees, Bumble Bees & other pollinators are NOT killed at Wayfare; we only offer humane bee removal.
If you are living in Portland, Vancouver or any of the surrounding areas and have a hornet problem, give us a call toll free at 1 (844) WAYFARE or 1 (844) 929-3273 to schedule a free consultation. Or click the ‘book consultation online’ button below.
Wayfare Pest Solutions will take care of it for you without upsetting the balance of the ecosystem, posing a threat to your family, your pets, your neighbors pets, and other furry things that we like via our Full Contact IPA method . . . and get results. Don’t call us first. Call us LAST.
Call Us Toll Free at 1 (844) WAYFARE
OREGON SERVICE AREAS:
- Hornet Removal – Portland, OR
- Hornet Removal – Beaverton, OR
- Hornet Removal – Hillsboro, OR
- Hornet Removal – Cornelius, OR
- Hornet Removal – North Plains, OR
- Hornet Removal – Lake Oswego, OR
- Hornet Removal – Sherwood, OR
- Hornet Removal – Tigard, OR
- Hornet Removal – Forest Grove Communities, OR
- Hornet Removal – McMinnville, OR
- Hornet Removal – Gresham, OR
- Hornet Removal – Corbett, OR
- Hornet Removal – Hood River, OR
- Hornet Removal – Sandy, OR
- Hornet Removal – Canby, OR
- Hornet Removal – Rhododendron, OR
- Hornet Removal – Vernonia, OR
- Hornet Removal – Scapoose, OR
WASHINGTON SERVICE AREAS:
- Hornet Removal – Vancouver, WA
- Hornet Removal – Camas, WA
- Hornet Removal – Washougal, WA
- Hornet Removal – Ridgefield, WA
- Hornet Removal – LaCenter, WA
- Hornet Removal – Woodland, WA
- Hornet Removal – Longview, WA
- Hornet Removal – Yacolt, WA
- Hornet Removal – Amboy, WA
*** If you are experiencing a hornet issue and do not see your city listed here please give us a call toll free to see if it is possible to make a special trip to see you @ 1 (844) WAYFARE – (844) 929-3273. ***
Click the blue ‘View Coupon’ button to claim today’s offer. Please note that in an effort to be a positive influence in the community we offer multiple promotional discounts for Seniors, Students, Military, Veterans and their Family.